Sunday, September 14, 2014

Preparing Children for Life




            Some things in life seem so normal that we often don’t take time to acknowledge and appreciate them. For me, it was basic life skills training imparted to me by my parents and grandparents. I was raised in a family business so my family made it a normal part of life to impart as many skills as possible as well as qualities like a strong work ethic, responsibility, and dependability. Every day was filled with the instruction about how to do things as well as how a small business operates and functions. I worked alongside my parents every day observing how things were done and helping. By the time I was a senior in high school, I was well prepared to move into the work force or start a business. This preparation has served me well through my life thus far.
            My wife and I planted a church in Sumter, S.C. in 1994 and served there until 2006. During that time, we established a ministry training program for college -aged young people. It was during this 8 year span that I really began to appreciate the gift my family had given me. I was so amazed to see such a high percentage of young people who had no clue about basic life skills like cooking, washing clothes, house cleaning, cutting the grass, changing light bulbs and A/C filters, changing a flat tire, changing the oil in a car, reading a tape measure, and using basic tools like pliers and screwdrivers. The thing that really amazed me was that these young people came from parents who were very competent. We made it a point to include this training in our program to help them in their life journey.
            This experience, of course, made us wonder how this could happen. We found that many parents felt that they were doing their children a service by not making them work around the home. Somehow, they did not connect the dots to realize that their children would struggle to succeed in life without this crucial instruction from their parents and grandparents. We found that some parents simply were busy making a living and running the household and did not think about the importance of teaching their children these practical skills. Some parents simply did not want to exert the patience required for this kind of instruction. They would say something like, “ It’s just easier to do it myself, rather than trying to get him/her to do it.” Then, there were a few who did not pass on this valuable information to their children because they wanted their children to remain dependent on them. The thought here is that “if they need me, they won’t leave me”.
            The truth is that God intends that parents pass as much knowledge on to their children as possible to make sure that children are firmly rooted in life so they can fulfill God’s plan for their lives. In Deuteronomy, fathers are instructed to pass their knowledge of God and life on to their children. Failure to prepare our children for life creates angry, confused young adults who feel lost in the world.
            I want to encourage you to prayerfully consider how you can begin passing your knowledge and skills on to your children. Household chores are a great start. Another great tool is to volunteer for projects through your local church or a community charity and have your children work alongside you instructing and encouraging them as you go. The investment you make in preparing your children for life will create benefits for your family that will last for generations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and make a comment. Please remember to be respectful of other who might be reading this...make sure your comment is helpful to others. Thank you again.